Time management is fundamentally about focus. The Pareto Principle states, 80% of effort not managed or focused generates 20% of the desired output. On the other hand, 80% of desired output can be generated by 20% of effective effort. You see how much is lost or gained with well-managed time.
Time management involves scheduling appointments, goal settings, planning, to do lists and prioritizing; core skills that need to be understood to develop efficient personal productivity. These basic skills should be personalized to fit your work style. However, there is more to time management than these basics: decision making, emotional intelligence and critical thinking are also important to personal development.
Time management involves everything you do. No matter how big or small, everything counts. It’s not just to get your tasks completed on schedule. Time management should lead to a balanced life.
Time management is about getting results, not about being busy.
Time management should improve six aspects of life: physical, intellectual, social, career, emotional and spiritual.
- The physical aspect involves having a healthy body, less stress and fatigue.
- The intellectual aspect involves learning and other mental growth activities.
- The social aspect involves developing personal or intimate relations and being an active contributor to society.
- The career aspect involves school and work.
- The emotional aspect involves appropriate feelings and desires and manifesting them.
- The spiritual aspect involves a personal quest for meaning.
Having a to do list for each of these key areas is not practical, but knowing which areas of your life are not getting enough attention is part of time management. Each aspect is part the whole. If you ignore one then you are ignoring an important part of yourself.
Personal time management is not a daunting task. It is a reasonable approach in solving problems. These steps should be a regular part of your life:
- Set goals and review them regularly. Write them down and keep the list where you can check it easily
- Determine what tasks are necessary by asking yourself if they are helping you achieve your goals or maintain your balanced lifestyle.
- Use your peak time to best advantage. Know your natural energy cycle. Complete difficult tasks you have the most energy.
- Learn to say ‘No’.
- Reward yourself for completions.
- Get cooperation from people who benefit from your time management efforts.
- Don’t procrastinate. Attend to necessary things immediately.
- Have a positive attitude and set yourself up for success.
- Set realistic goals and break them down into manageable steps
- Track your activities. This will help you get things in their proper perspective.
Once you integrate time management practices into your life, you increase options that provide a spectrum of solutions to personal growth. It creates more doors that opportunity can knock on.
- Time Management Principles Maximize Your Life Enjoyment (realgoalgetter.com)
- Three Time Management Concerns for Entrepreneurs and How to Deal with Them (theblogofjuanortiz.wordpress.com)
- Productivity and Time Management Tips (bloggingtips.com)