More than ever before, we play many roles in our lives. We are workers, parents, spouses, friends, caregivers and volunteers in their communities. We also try and make room in our lives for taking care of our own well-being. Not surprisingly, achieving balance among all these competing priorities can be difficult. Here in Canada 58% of people report overload associated with their many roles.
While you can’t control all of the factors that impact your work/life balance, there are some things you can control. Life is made up of several parts working together to bring the balance needed for optimal wellness:
- Physical: nutritious food, safe water, healthy air, exercise
- Mental: intellectual challenges, knowledge, thoughts
- Emotional: feelings, belonging, security
- Philosophical: authenticity, spirituality, meaning, attitudes
- Social: relationships with others, friendships
- Career: finances, fulfillment
- Recreational: leisure, fun, sports
Finding the ideal balance between work and life is rare. The nature of that balance is different for every person, and can change over time. We shouldn’t try for perfection, but constantly be aware of making choices that will benefit all aspects of our lives. Achieving work/life balance is an investment – it takes time and effort to implement. But it’s worth the effort.
- Work/Life Balance: A 2-Way Street? (themarlincompany.com)
- How to Manage Work Life Balance (ismckenzie.com)
- How can I maintain a healthy work-life balance? (career-advice.monster.co.uk)
- Work & life are now intertwined .. are they? [Julia McDaid] (ecademy.com)