No matter how you define success, a proper attitude plays a key role in reaching success. I know people who blame their lack of success on a lack of education. I know educated people who blame their lack of success on circumstances. Regardless of the personal resources you have: education, skills, money, etc., if you don’t have a good attitude, you will not get full value from those resources.
Here are 8 ways to transform your attitude from ordinary to extraordinary.
- Own your attitude. Your attitude belongs to you and nobody else. Stop blaming others and be accountable for who you are and how you behave.
- Expect great things. Don’t settle for second best. The old programmers mantra, “garbage in, garbage out,” holds a lot of truth. If you think you’re going to fail, it’s likely to happen. Start by thinking positively about where you want to go.
- Use positive affirmations. Tell yourself every day that you are an outstanding person capable of achieving your goals. Have a routine where you regularly work to boost your self confidence. Carry the affirmations with you in a notebook, journal or on index cards. Take time to review them, particularly when self-doubt is hammering away at you. Reach higher.
- Picture success. Your subconscious mind operates on images and pictures. Before you go to sleep, picture your ideal day. What are you doing? What are you wearing? Who are you with? See and feel yourself in this moment as a huge success. Do you want a new house, job or relationship? Imagine it as if it already happened.
- Define your goals. Your subconscious mind grabs onto defined and written goals. List three short-term and three long-term goals. Set a deadline for each goal and outline the steps you will take to reach your goals.
- Focus and work. Successful people do not spend hours in front of the television, gossiping around the water cooler, or any other negative behaviour. You can tell from the sale of lottery tickets just how many people think success is based on luck. Success takes hard work. Get started.
- Model the success of others. Look at people you admire. What are their personality traits and values? Learn from their example. Also, surround yourself with like-minded, success-oriented people.
- Share your success. Possibly the best way to build and maintain a good attitude is by sharing with others. I don’t know how many times, at the end of a tough work day, doing something with or for others has boosted my attitude. Whether a choir practice, visiting someone in hospital or having coffee with friends, time spent with others can have a positive impact on my state of mind.
2 thoughts on “8 Ways to Improve Your Attitude”
I definitely agree! Success comes to those who have the right attitude, who knows how to handle certain circumstances. A person with a good health, mentality and attitude are ingredients to a successful life, not just skills.
Comments are closed.