- Make an appointment – Don’t just hope you find the time to clean up, set a calendar entry and stick to it.
- Use the right tools:
- Set a timer for the length of time you have decided to work on this project.
- Boxes or storage containers to use for sorting.
- Garbage/recycling bags or box for shredding.
- Organizer (paper or electronic) to enter to-dos, addresses or calendar data.
- Sort – everything into boxes/containers according to what needs to be done: file, shred, recycle, refer, toss, etc.
- Remove everything else – pens, stapler, toys, gadgets, phone, monitor, etc.
- Dust and polish – give your desktop a cleaning. This will also reinforce the idea of a “fresh start” for your desktop.
- Replace necessary items – The only things you should have on your desktop are those that you use daily.
- Process the paper – take the items you sorted into boxes and put them where they belong: filing, your tickler or reading folder or delegate/refer to a more appropriate person, etc.
- Take out the trash – get rid of the garbage. Don’t let it sit around the office for a couple of days: shred, recycle or toss.
Consume less, live more!
3 thoughts on “8 Tips to Help You Clean Off Your Desk”
Comments are closed.