Here in Canada, there are Federal and Provincial laws that govern how organizations protected the personal information in their care. There are steps you should take to protect your privacy and safeguard your personal information in the marketplace. Here are just a few:
- Before you reveal any personal information, find out how it will be used and if it will be shared.
- Always read the fine print on sales agreements and magazine subscriptions and check the “no thanks” box if you don’t want your information shared.
- Minimize the identification and number of cards you carry.
- Never disclose your PIN to anyone. No one from a financial institution, the police or a merchant should ask you for your PIN.
- Carefully check your bank account and credit card statements and report any discrepancies immediately.
- Never give your credit card number over the phone unless you are certain you are dealing with a reputable company, or you initiated the call yourself.
- Tear or shred receipts, credit offers and insurance forms you get in the mail before disposing of them.