The telephone has been a part of our lives for so long we probably don’t even think of it as technology. The telephone is a great communication tool. However, just like any other technology or toll, the telephone has to be used properly to be effective. Here are some ways to manage your telephone use:
- Schedule time for outgoing calls. Place calls on your to-do list or create a separate call list and make the calls at schedules times during the day.
- Make notes of the things you need to discuss to keep the call on track.
- Make sure you have any documents, files or notes needed for the call.
- Schedule a time for the phone call if you are having problems making a connection.
- Make effective use of voice mail. When you leave a message, give as much information as is necessary for the other party to efficiently respond to your call.