- Understand the value of your time: We may all value our time differently, but we all have the same number of minutes in a day. Once they are lost, they are gone forever.
- Plan: You don’t plan failure, but you have to plan for success.
- Do tomorrow’s planning today: Don’t wait until you’re in the middle of the day to figure out what you need to accomplish. Determine that before the day starts.
- Identify your “prime time:” What part of the day do you have more or less energy? Plan high-energy or low-energy tasks accordingly.
- Work from an action list: Create lists from which to work.
- Schedule tasks as needed. Check off completed items. Revise the list as needed.
- Ask yourself, “Why am I doing what I’m doing right now?” and ask it often: Always evaluate what you are doing to ensure the most productive use of your time.
- “Delete” whenever possible: Eliminate clutter, file the completed, delegate wisely, learn to say NO.
- Check your calendar: Have a good system to track time-sensitive events.
- Be flexible: Have the ability to accommodate the unforeseen. Sometimes the urgent will have to override the planned.
- Take a day off now and again: Have days for unplanned relaxation and spontaneous activity.
Download the best note-taking app – Evernote.